State College area is known for its sporting events due to Penn State University. From the football, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, and wrestling there are plenty of sporting events for families to enjoy. If you’re not a sports fan there are plenty of other things to do in the State College area for families to enjoy!
1. Palmer Art Museum: A no charge museum that displays collections of art from all over the world. Displays art from Asian pottery to contemporary American paintings.
Located: Curtain Road, University Park
2. Pennsylvania Military Museum: Museum that focuses on wars in the 21st century, but displays mainly of World Wars I & II. Outside of the museum there is a large picnic area, collection of military vehicles, and memorials. Right next door is the Boal Mansion and Columbus Chapel.
Located: 51 Boal Avenue Boalsburg, PA
Cost: $6.00 for adults, $5.50 for seniors, $4.00 kids 3-11
3. Boal Mansion and Columbus Chapel: Home to Colonel Boal. Visitors are told about the history of the Boal family and shown amazing displays. Next door you can view the Columbus Chapel that was set in the Columbus family castle in Spain and was moved to Boalsburg in 1909.
Located: 163 Boal Estate Drive, Boalsburg
Cost: $10.00 for adults, $6.00 for kids 6-17
4. State College Spikes Baseball: State College Spikes are a short Season-A affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals. Games are during the summer. Families can even purchase tickets upon arrival. Features food, ice cream, kids’ zone, and on certain games and holidays fireworks and events are held.
Location: 701 Porter Road, State College
More Info: http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t1174
5. Woodward Cave: A beautiful walking cavern. Visitors enjoy an hour tour about the history and formations within the cave. It’s the largest show cave in Pennsylvania and has been opened since 1926. Cabins, tenting, and camping is available onsite as well.
Location: Route 45 Woodward, PA
More Info about camping and prices: 814-349-9800, woodwardcave.com
6. Happy Valley Mini-Golf: 18-hole miniature golf course. Offers birthday party and group
Located: 1890 South Atherton Street, State College, PA
Cost and more information: www.happyvalleyminigolf.com
7. Tussey Mountain: A ski lodge that during the summer holds movie events, contests, and concerts. Kids and adults can enjoy mini golf, fishing, batting cages, go karts, skate park, and much more.
Located: 301 Bear Meadows Road Boalsburg, PA
More Info: 8144666266, www.tusseymountain.com
8. Mayor Welch Memorial Pool: A recently refinished pool located across from State College High School. A public pool that offers massive water slides and concessions.
Location: 670 Westerly Parkway
More Info: http://www.crpr.org/
9. Poe Valley State Park: A state park that you can camp at as well as enjoy a fenced in swimming area, fishing, boating, hiking, picnicking, and kayaking. Offers shaded picnic areas with charcoal grills included. A food bar is also available for lunch.
For more info: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/poevalley/
10. Discovery Space of Central Pennsylvania: 45+ interactive exhibits that encourage play, exploration, and experimentation. Summer camps and learning days are available.
Located: 112 West Foster Avenue State College, PA
More info: https://mydiscoveryspace.org/